Pillows for Neck and Shoulder Pain
Many people can experience neck and shoulder pain as a result of the position they sleep in. Waking up with stiff shoulders or a stiff neck in the morning can leave you feeling unrefreshed. It's important to take care of our bodies as we sleep to prevent pain and improve our wellbeing.
However, you can easily improve your sleep quality with the right pillows.
At Sleepseeker, we offer a wide range of pillows perfect for side sleepers, back sleepers and front sleepers. No matter how you like to sleep, you'll be able to find the ideal pillow to keep your spine in alignment.
Our pillows are available in various pack sizes and fillings, making it easy for you to find the right match for your sleeping position.
If any pain does persist, it's essential to speak to a medical practitioner for more guidance.
Causes of neck and shoulder pain
There are many things which can cause you to wake up with neck or shoulder pain. Most often, this can be a result of:
- Poor sleeping position = Sleeping in a poor position can cause you to wake up with pain in your body. Making sure you have the right pillow firmness for your sleeping position can improve your sleep quality.
- The pillow you're using = Using an old pillow or the wrong pillow for your sleeping position can cause issues with alignment and comfort. We spend many hours in bed, so it's worth investing in comfortable and supportive bedding.
Other reasons why you might have neck pain or shoulder pain after sleeping include:
- Underlying medical conditions like osteoarthritis
- Previous injuries
- Poor posture during the daytime
If you experience pain regularly in the mornings after sleep, it's best to speak to your doctor.
FAQs for pillows for neck and shoulder pain
Which pillow is best for neck and shoulder pain?
The best pillow for neck and shoulder pain will support your head, neck and shoulders. But, it will also ease any pressure points at the same time.
It's important to choose a pillow that offers the correct support for your head, neck and spine, keeping them in alignment as you sleep. This should help reduce any pain you may experience when you wake up.
Some of the best pillows for shoulder pain and neck pain include those made from memory foam, hollowfibre, down or feathers.
What is the best way to sleep with neck and shoulder pain?
If you experience pain in your neck or shoulders, it's best to sleep on your side or back. This is because a pillow will better support your head, neck and spine in these positions.
Sleeping on your front can cause pain if you have the wrong pillow. Stomach sleepers may find they have pain when they wake up. This is because laying on your front causes your head to lay to one side, resulting in alignment issues.
Can a pillow cause neck and shoulder pain?
Yes, using the wrong pillows can result in pain in your neck or shoulders. Everybody has a different sleeping position, and choosing your pillow to match this is crucial.
What pillow materials are best for neck pain?
There are lots of pillow materials to choose from when it comes to neck and shoulder pain. This gives you complete freedom to find the perfect pillow for your comfort. Some of the most popular materials used in pillows to target neck and shoulder pain include:
- Memory foam pillows - Memory foam will mould to your specific head and upper body shape, supporting you as you sleep.
- Hollowfibre pillows - These pillows are a great budget option and are light and breathable.
- Feather pillows - This material is great if you enjoy a soft pillow. They're also easy to adjust as you can take out or add filling to improve the height of your pillow.
- Duck down pillows & goose down pillows - Down fillings are incredibly soft and provide a good level of support and comfort.
What is the best pillow positioning for neck pain?
With the right sleeping position, you can improve your wellbeing and your night's sleep. Some of the best sleeping positions for neck pain include:
- Sleeping on your back
- Sleeping on your side
- Sleeping in a recliner or upright position