How to Make Your Bed Look and Feel Luxurious
There's no greater feeling than sinking into plush, silky-soft sheets but trying to replicate the luxury hotel bed feel is not as easy as it looks. Redesigning a bedroom for a more relaxed look involves paying attention to the details and investing in high-quality bedding and accessories so you can rest easy.
If you want to find out how to make a bed look luxurious, you've come to the right place! In this guide, we'll show you some expert tips and tricks to elevate your bed into a haven of comfort and style. From choosing the finest bed linen to selecting the perfect mattress topper, we've got you covered.
Let's dive in and transform your space into a sanctuary of luxury.
How to choose luxurious bedding
When it comes to choosing luxurious bedding, it's all about prioritising quality, comfort, and aesthetics. As the interior designer, you'll want to curate a bed that not only feels luxurious but also serves as the focal point of your bedroom.
Here are some key aspects to consider when choosing luxurious bedding:
- Thread count
Look for a high thread count, typically between 300 and 600. A higher thread count means a denser weave, resulting in a softer and more durable fabric. This creates a luxurious feel, enhances comfort, and ensures longevity. However, excessively high thread counts can reduce breathability, so finding the right balance is essential.
Opt for natural materials and breathable fabrics like Egyptian cotton, Pima cotton, wool or linen. These materials offer a comfortable sleep environment, all while promoting healthy airflow, ensuring you wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Colour palette
Whatever your colour scheme, ensure it reflects the overall ambience you want to create in the bedroom. For instance, soft blues and pastels evoke tranquillity, while deep, rich hues like burgundy or emerald can add a touch of elegance.
Harmonise the colours with other elements in the room, such as furniture or decorative pillows, to achieve a cohesive and inviting space.
When it comes to creating a truly luxurious bedding ensemble, texture plays a pivotal role. Consider incorporating elements like a throw blanket, shams, or pillowcases crafted from lavish materials such as silk, velvet, or faux fur. These texture-rich elements serve as visual focal points and provide a multi-sensory experience that transforms your bed into a sanctuary of comfort and style.
Now that we understand some of the core aspects of creating a luxurious sleeping environment, let's focus on the items that will complete your room.
Choosing a luxury mattress
Having the right mattress is perhaps the most important aspect of creating a luxurious bed. When choosing a mattress, there are a few things you should consider if you want to feel like royalty every time you go to sleep:
- Comfort & support: Prioritise a mattress that offers both comfort and excellent support for a good night's sleep. Consider options like memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattresses.
- Material quality: Opt for high-quality materials in the mattress construction. Natural latex, high-density foam, and premium coil systems are indicators of a luxury mattress.
- Customisation options: Look for mattresses that offer customisation options, such as adjustable firmness, different sleep zones or cooling effects. This ensures a personalised sleeping experience.
- Motion isolation: A luxury mattress should excel in motion isolation, allowing for undisturbed sleep even if your partner moves during the night.
- Mattress toppers & protectors: To further enhance the luxury and longevity of your mattress, consider investing in high-quality mattress toppers and protectors. These additions can provide additional comfort, support, and protection against spills, allergens, and wear and tear.
Choosing a luxury pillow
Another item to add is, of course, a pillow. But not just one pillow; multiple elegant cushions of varying sizes and materials that will transform your whole bed. Here's what you should consider when choosing a luxury pillow:
- Fill material: Select a pillow with a high-quality fill material like goose down or duck feather for a plush and luxurious feel. Memory foam or latex pillows can also offer excellent support.
- Pillow size: Consider a variety of pillow sizes for visual interest. Standard, queen and king-sized pillows can create a rich, layered look.
- Pillowcases: Use high-quality pillowcases that match your sheets. Silk or satin pillowcases can add a touch of luxury and are gentle on skin and hair.
- Pillow protectors: Investing in high-quality pillow protectors is essential to safeguard your luxurious pillows from stains, spills, and allergens. These protectors add an extra layer of defence, ensuring your pillows stay in pristine condition for years to come.
- Throw pillows: Incorporating decorative throw pillows made of luxurious materials like silk, velvet, or faux fur can be a great addition to your bedding. Choose complementary colours and textures to enhance the overall aesthetic of your bed.
Choosing a luxury duvet
To make a bed look complete, you'll want to invest in a super soft, super comfy duvet. A luxury duvet not only adds a layer of comfort but also serves as a focal point, elevating your room's overall aesthetic. Here are a few to consider when choosing a luxury duvet:
- Fill material: Opt for high-quality down or feather duvet fillings. These will provide warmth without excessive weight. Down is known for its exceptional insulating properties, trapping heat effectively while remaining lightweight. Feather inserts offer a slightly heavier option, providing a cosy, enveloping feeling.
- Cover material: A linen or cotton duvet cover offers a breathable and comfortable surface that complements the luxurious feel of the bedding. Linen, with its natural texture, exudes an understated elegance and is perfect for a relaxed yet sophisticated look. On the other hand, cotton provides a crisp and smooth finish, giving your bed a timeless appeal. Consider opting for high-thread-count options in both materials for a touch of added refinement.
- Design & pattern: When choosing a duvet cover, consider a design or pattern that harmonises with the overall aesthetic of your bedroom. Subtle, monochromatic patterns can add depth without overwhelming the space, while more intricate designs can become a focal point, infusing personality and flair.
- Size: Ensure the duvet cover is the right size for your bed. It should hang evenly on all sides, providing a tailored and polished appearance. An oversized cover can create a cosy, enveloping effect, while a snug fit offers a clean, minimalist look.
Tips for making a luxurious bed
Making your bed look and feel more luxurious can transform the entire ambience of your bedroom. It's not just about creating a place to sleep; it's about curating a space of ultimate comfort, style, and refinement.
Now we've covered some of the basics, here are a few more tips on how you can create the ultimate luxurious bedroom:
Choose a high-quality duvet or comforter that not only provides warmth but also adds a plush, inviting look to your bed. Layering with a quilt or coverlet introduces different textures, creating depth and visual interest. Opt for fabrics like velvet, silk, or matelassé for a luxurious touch.
Cushions, throws & blankets
Incorporate a mix of standard sleeping pillows, Euro shams, and decorative pillows. Arrange your pillows in a way that creates symmetry and balance. Place the largest pillows at the back, followed by the shams, and finish with smaller decorative pillows in the front.
As well as extra cushions, adding a luxury throw or blanket at the foot of the bed not only offers extra warmth but also introduces another layer of texture and colour. An electric blanket can also provide extra comfort during colder seasons.
Bed skirts & headboards
A bed skirt not only conceals the box spring and any under-bed storage but also provides a polished, finished look. Choose a skirt that complements the colour scheme and style of your bedding.
A headboard adds a significant element of style to your bed. Opt for one with luxurious fabric, intricate designs or a padded headboard that complements the overall aesthetic of your bedroom.
Wash bedding for luxurious smells
To infuse a luxurious scent into your bedding, opt for high-quality detergents designed for soft linen. Choose fragrances like lavender or eucalyptus for a calming ambience, and consider adding scented fabric softeners.
For an eco-friendly option, select plant-based detergents with natural scents. Always test for allergies or sensitivities before using scented products on your bedding, ensuring a pleasant and soothing sensory experience each time you slip into bed.
Elegant colour scheme
Selecting a refined colour palette can significantly impact the perceived luxury of your bed. Opt for rich, complementary hues that evoke a sense of opulence. Some great colour combinations that exude luxury include:
- Royal purple and gold
- Navy blue and champagne
- Burgundy and burnished copper
- Emerald green and gold
- Deep teal and silver
- Ballet pink and rose gold
- Charcoal grey and gold
- Plum and antique brass
- Deep blue and silver
- Black, white, and gold
Remember, the key to creating a luxurious atmosphere lies not only in the colours themselves but also in how they are used in combination with other elements such as textures, materials, and lighting.
Make your bed look luxurious with Sleepseeker
Experience the pinnacle of comfort and luxury with Sleepseeker. Browse our exquisite range of mattress toppers, duvets and pillows to elevate your sleep. Have questions? Our team is committed to helping you find the ideal bedding essentials tailored to your needs.
FAQs about luxury bedding
How can I make my bed look more luxurious?
To elevate the appearance of your bed, start by investing in high-quality bedding made from materials like Egyptian cotton, silk, or linen. Layering is key, so add extra pillows, shams, and throws to create depth.
A plush duvet can also add a luxurious touch. Tuck in the sides and foot of the bedding neatly, and consider a neutral colour palette for an elegant feel. A well-crafted bed frame also contributes to the overall ambience.
How do I make my bed fluffy like a hotel?
Wondering how to get that cosy, hotel-like pillows and bedding? Start by giving your pillows a good fluff every day. Consider adding a quality mattress topper for extra comfort and don't forget to layer your bedding with a snug-fitting duvet or comforter. These small touches can make a big difference in creating that inviting, plush atmosphere you find in hotels.
What are the most luxurious fabrics for bedding?
The most luxurious fabrics for bedding often include materials known for their comfort and durability. Some of the top choices are:
- Silk: Renowned for its softness and lustrous sheen, silk bedding symbolises luxury. It's naturally hypoallergenic and moisture-wicking, offering a sumptuous feel against the skin.
- Egyptian cotton: Recognised for its long staple fibres, Egyptian cotton produces exceptionally smooth and durable sheets. Its high thread count contributes to a luxurious texture and breathability.
- Linen: Linen bedding exudes an understated elegance. It's highly breathable, moisture-wicking, and becomes even softer over time. White bed linen is a popular choice for those seeking a relaxed yet opulent feel.
- Wool: Known for its natural warmth and insulation properties, wool is excellent at regulating body temperature. Its softness and durability contribute to its luxurious feel, making it a popular choice for those seeking to add a cosy element to their luxurious bedding.
- Cashmere: While primarily known for clothing, cashmere is occasionally used for blankets or throws. Its incredibly soft and insulating properties make it a prized choice for those desiring ultimate comfort.
- Bamboo viscose: This eco-friendly fabric is celebrated for its silky texture and excellent moisture-wicking properties. Bamboo viscose bedding is not only luxurious but also sustainable.
- Satin: Offering a glossy finish, satin bedding provides a touch of elegance and sensuality. It's often used for special occasions or as an accent material in a bedding set.
These luxurious fabrics each bring their own unique qualities to the bedroom, catering to different preferences and desires for a lavish sleep experience.
What's trending now...
Slumberdown Chilly Nights 15 Tog Double Winter Duvet
Slumberdown Super Support Firm Support Side Sleeper Pillow, 2 Pack
Snuggledown Intelligent Warmth Heated Topper - King
Slumberdown Wonderful Wool Mattress Topper, Double
Slumberdown Anti Allergy Pillow Protector - Pack of 2
Slumberdown Paws for Slumber Grey Pet Bed, Medium
Snuggledown Scandinavian Hollowfibre Mattress Protector - Double
Slumberdown Unwind Outside 2-in-1 Waterproof Cocoon Set, Light Green
Slumberdown Chilly Nights Duvet
From: £22.50Shop Now
Slumberdown Super Support Firm Support Side Sleeper Pillow
From: £17.00Shop Now
Snuggledown Intelligent Warmth Heated Topper
From: £110.00Shop Now
Slumberdown Wonderful Wool Mattress Topper
From: £54.50Shop Now
Slumberdown Anti Allergy Pillow Protector
From: £15.50Shop Now
Slumberdown Paws for Slumber Medium Pet Bed
From: £39.00Shop Now
Snuggledown Scandinavian Hollowfibre Mattress Protector
From: £16.50Shop Now
Slumberdown Unwind Outside 2-in-1 Waterproof Cocoon Set
From: £30.00Shop Now
Slumberdown All Seasons Combi 15 Tog (10.5 + 4.5 Tog) Super King Duvet
Slumberdown Super Support Firm Support Side Sleeper Pillow, 4 Pack
Snuggledown Intelligent Warmth Heated Topper - Double
Slumberdown Luxury Memory Comfort Medium Support Double Mattress Topper
Snuggledown Scandinavian Hollowfibre Pillow Protector - Pack of 2